The Intel Optane P4800X SSD series is Intel’s first NVMe SSD that features 3D XPoint technology. 3D XPoint technology is a new class of memory that doesn’t store data by trapping electrons in the memory cell but instead utilized the property-change of the memory material itself to store the data. The NVMe controller and firmware are optimised to take advantage of the unique aspects of 3D XPoint technology. I/O operations are accelerated by hardware, delivering leading performance, ultra-low latency and quality of service (QoS).
The Intel Optane Solid State Drive (SSD) helps eliminate data centre storage bottlenecks and allows bigger, more affordable data sets. It can accelerate applications, reduce transaction costs for latency-sensitive workloads, and improve overall data centre TCO.
1. High throughput for breakthrough performance
2. Low latency for responsiveness under load
3. Predictably fast service for Quality of Service (QoS)
4. Ultra high endurance for today’s data centre
VMware vSAN* Solution.
(1) When comparing results to https://www.evaluatorgroup.com/document/evaluating-server-based-storage-performance-enterprise-workloads/ and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/storage/evaluator-group-storage-paper.html
Previous configuration: Storage media: 1x P3700 + 4x Seagate 1TB 10K HDD, Performance: 80 IOmark-VM-HC, Price/Performance: $2048 / Iomark-VM-HC; Current configuration: Storage media: 2x P4800X SSD + 4x P4500 4TB SSD, Performance: 800 IOmark-VM-HC, Price/Performance: $237 / Iomark-VM-HC